Creating a Seascape
Age 11, group or independent
Five 45-minute periods, indoors or outdoors
Create a California seafood undersea environment.
For background or surfaces: butcher paper, poster
paper, plywood stand, side of a building, large glass window, shoe boxes.
- California's Golden Seas booklet (see appendix)
- California's Golden Seas poster
- paint brushes
- color markers
- lightweight cardboard or poster board.
- fishing line
- kelp and other seaweed
- diving equipment
- treasure chest pattern (see Golden Treasures activity).
- The seascape can be as large or small as the environment allows, from a
miniature seascape in a shoe box to a large seascape display
on a cafeteria wall, hallway or side of a building.
- If a large seascape is planned, have each person responsible for a
- Use the California's Golden Seas booklet and poster as
guides for information about species and their habitats.
- Create the seascape background and surface first.
- Cut seafood out of lightweight cardboard and decorate the seascape.
- Hang the species from the ceiling or top of the shoe box with
fishing line, if desired.
- Invite community and family members to view the seascape.
- Display the seascapes at an open house, science fair or in a school or