Age 9, Group or Independent
45 minutes, indoors or outdoors
- Create a story that reflects historical facts
about California's seafood industry.
- California's Golden Seas booklet (see appendix)
- crayons or markers
- tape recorder (optional)
- Review California's Golden Seas booklet.
- Explain that sealore is the same as folklore,
only it is about the traditions
and customs of fisher folk and the sea.
It combines fact and imagination.
- Have individuals use their imaginations to draw an Old Mariner.
- Use the Old Mariner drawings to stimulate thoughts for their sealore.
- Have individuals, as a group or independently,
create a sealore based on
California fishing traditions. Encourage creativity.
- Share individual sealore tales with the group.
- Record the sealore (optional).
- How does the sealore differ from what really happened?
- Create a sea tale about present day fisher folk by writing a story at home.
- Invite a fisherman or fisherwoman to speak about his/her fishing tales and
- View the "Gone Fishin'" video.