Age 9, Small Groups
45 minutes, indoors or outdoors
- Summarize California seafood industry issues using a board game.
- California's Golden Seas poster
- journey masters
- California's Golden Seas gear vessel coins
- California's Golden Seas dollars
- navigation sheets
- one di
- overhead transparencies
- clear self-adhesive contact paper (optional).
- Form small groups (5 to 7 players for each game board).
- Duplicate masters according to the number of game sets needed.
Note: Duplicate journey masters on overhead transparencies.
Duplicate two sheets of money for each player ($230).
Cut out coins and dollars.
Duplicate game directions and
navigation sheet for each team.
- Assemble journey transparencies.
- Cover poster with clear self-adhesive contact paper (optional).
- Place assembled journey transparencies over the poster
and tape to poster, if desired.
- Designate an individual to be the captain of the boat.
The captain reads the
navigation statements, distributes the dollars and maintains the bank.
- Give each individual or mate one coin and $230 in golden seas dollars.
- Each player rolls the die. The highest roll begins the game.
- Read the game directions. The game should proceed in a clockwise direction.
- When the first mate completes the California's Golden Seas Journey by landing
on the finish marker (#56 California's Golden Seas Port), the game stops.
- To determine the winner, each mate counts his/her California Golden Seas
dollars and adds the number that his/her vessel is on to the dollar amount.
For example, if a mate has $50 and is on number 21, that mate's score is 71.
- The mate with the highest score wins.
- Play the Journey Game at home with family and friends.