Age 9, Group
45 minutes, indoors or outdoors
- Summarize the health benefits of eating seafood.
- catch cards
- navigation cards
- magnetized tape or small magnets
- fishing line or string
- unsharpened pencils or twigs
- metal paper clips
- fish tank or shoe box.
- Duplicate and cut out catch cards and navigation cards.
- Cut 12" of fishing line or string for each person.
- Distribute magnets or small pieces of magnetized tape,
pencils or twigs, line, paper clips and catch cards.
(Note: Individuals can take turns sharing
fishing gear if there aren't enough materials for everyone.)
- Tie the clip to one end of the line and the pencil to the other end.
- Glue the magnet or place the magnetized tape onto the back of the catch
- Place the catch cards in the fish tank or shoe box, magnet side up.
- Take turns "fishing" for the catch cards.
- Read the word on the catch card pulled from the tank or shoe box.
- Find and read the matching navigation card.
- Continue playing until all of the cards are gone.
- Review the importance of nutrients in our diet.
- Take navigation cards and catch cards home to put on the refrigerator.
- Play Gone Fishing with family and friends.