Age 9, Group or Independent
Three 45-minute periods, indoors or outdoors
- Identify 15 seafood species native to the waters
that border California by preparing and reading stories based on information
in the California's Golden Seas booklet.
- California's Golden Seas poster
- California's Golden Seas booklet (see appendix)
- stapler (or paper hole punch and yarn or ribbon)
- color markers or crayons.
- Duplicate California's Golden Seas booklet.
- Read California's Golden Seas booklet,
either independently or aloud as a group.
- Review poster.
- Discuss the information in the booklet.
- Who has tried or seen some of the species of California seafood?
- List seafood species that haven't been tried.
- What species are in season now?
- Have each individual pick a seafood species and create
a seafood storybook that addresses the following questions:
- Who am I? (name of the species)
- Where do I live? (habitat)
- What do I eat? (what other species)
- Why am I good to eat? (nutritional benefits/flavor)
- How do fisher folk catch me? (fishing gear used)
- When do fisher folk catch me? (season)
- Read the stories aloud or share with a younger group of children.
- Illustrate the storybooks.
- Have a seafood tasting party.
- Go to a supermarket to see what California seafood species are available.