Balance and Care
Age 9, Group or Individual
45 minutes, indoors or outdoors
- Evaluate why fisher folk care about the ocean environment.
- Industry Challenges (see appendix)
- paper and markers
- Review Industry Challenges.
- Write the words LIFE, FOOD, LIVELIHOOD on three different sheets of
- Have the group sit in a circle.
- Explain that balance and care of the sea environment are very important
for life, food and livelihood:
- The sea contains life and many ecosystems.
- The sea contains nutritious food for a variety of creatures,
including birds, fish and shellfish.
- The sea supports communities and families with jobs.
- Hold up each of the words and ask the group to think about the reasons that
the balance and care of our California Golden Seas are important.
- Discuss the importance of balance and care for all creatures.
- Write down key discussion words related to LIFE, FOOD, and LIVELIHOOD.
- Develop a group poem, sea song, or rap lyric using some of the key words.
- View "Protecting the Ocean" video.
- Share the poem, sea song, or rap lyric with family, friends or community
groups and organizations.